Keeping a journal involves writing down thoughts, feelings and experiences. This can be done daily, weekly or whenever the need takes you. Many people say it can help.
Some benefits of keeping a journal
- It is like talking to someone when there is no one to talk to
- It can help “off load” thoughts that keep going round in your head
- It can help to see things in black and white
- It can help to see perspective (last week was awful at the time, however looking back it now doesn’t seem so bad)
- It can be a form of coping strategy and distraction
- It can help flag repeated patterns as you look back
- It can aid quiet reflection & contemplation
- You might turn it into a book of memoirs one day
- It is something of a record of your life – something to share with the grandchildren perhaps?
- People say it helps them cope with difficulties
- Others may find or read it how can you keep it private and safe ?
- It makes things “real” did you really feel that when you wrote it ?
- It can be addictive or obsessive – some people feel bad if they have not made an entry in a while
- what if you lose it ?
- If you continually write negative emotions it can keep you stuck in the negative
Some things to reflect on when or after writing
- How am I feeling ? What am I thinking ? What have I been doing?
- What have I learned today? (about myself / others / things in general)
- What am I pleased about or proud of today?
- What has made me laugh today ?
- What has touched me today ?
- Is there any thing I would do differently next time ? (what? and how would that be?)
- What is a different view to mine? (or another way of looking at this)
- What are the positives that can come out of this situation ?
- If I look back in 10 years time how important will this be ?
- What does this (what I have written) say about who I am ? what /who is important to me ? what my values are ?
- What do I need to do now?
- Is there anything I need top plan for in the next week?